Many divine personalities have written about the importance of Satsang. One such individual is Sage Tulisidas. Sage Tulisidas wrote the teachings of Shri Ram in the Navadha. Bhakti, which are as follows:
- The first step to devotion (Bhakti) is to keep company of the Saints (Satsang)
- The second step is to enjoy listening to legends/discourses pertaining to the Lord.
- The third step is selfless service to the Guru’s lotus feet without any pride.
- The fourth step is to earnestly sing praises of the Lord’s virtues with a heart clear of guile, deceit, or hypocrisy.
- The fifth step is chanting God’s name with steadfast faith as shown in the Vedas.
- The sixth is to practice self control, good character, detachment from manifold activities and always follow the duties as good religious person.
- The seventh step is to perceive the world as God Himself and regard the saints higher than the Lord.
- The eighth step is a state (which one arrives at when one travels the first seven steps) where there is no desire left, but the gift of perfect peace and contentment with whatever one has. (In this state) one does not see faults in others, even in a dream.
- The ninth step is when one has full faith in the Lord and becomes (child- like,) simple with no hypocrisy or deceit. The devotee has strong faith in the Lord with neither exaltation nor depression in any life circumstance.